Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Celebrating Independence Day in Denmark

On the 17th of August 2008, I went to the Indonesian Embassy at Hellerup to celebrate the Indonesian Independence Day. At 10 am, the flag ceremony began. It reminded me back when I was at school in Indonesia, almost every week, me and other students must attend the flag ceremony.
Sing national anthem, school's hymn, school's pledge, etc. Oh gosh. Most of the time, me and my friends thought this was some kind of a torture from our teachers.

But, it felt different this time. Usually, I would join my friends to make some annoying noise during the ceremony. This time, I stood there in silent. Trying to capture its wonderful moment. Seeing the flag raised while we sang our national anthem, Indonesia Raya, I felt it was calling the people to become one and to remember the hard work from our founding fathers.

It was amazing. It took only 30 minutes. As usual, we lined up to shake hands with the Ambassador, Mr. Abdul Rahman Saleh and his wife. While people were busy taking pictures with the Ambassador (he was an Attorney General in Indonesia), I was busy in the line waiting for the real Indonesian food!Yum..yum...!!
Me, the adopted grand daughter (that was what Frieda kept telling her friends) and Frieda, my pastor's mother. She said that her biggest mistake is to marry a Dane (of course, it was a joke!).
The Ambassador and wife with the Flag "people". I don't know what's the word for it. Haha.

Lapis Legit. I should have taken 3 more pieces since this cake is really rare in Eugene!! (It's difficult to make)

All the Indonesians, Indo-Danes and Danes sat down together eating free Indo food!The Indo Embassy even served Nasi Tumpeng!

The Indo Ladies who lived in Denmark for more than 10 years!
A Indo lady who lived here for almost 30 years told me that no matter how long she has been here, her heart is still in Indonesia.

Thank you, Frieda for bringing me to Hellerup! It was really nice to meet the Indonesians there. Dirgahayu Indonesia!

No comments: